Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steering wheel removal

Default Steering wheel removal

I have a 2001 TD5 and was going to fit a Momo steering wheel at the weekend. The steering wheel was not keen to come off the splines even with some shock treatment from behind the wheel with a mallet can you only remove these wheels with a puller and if so is this a special one for the Defender I see 2 screw threads beside the main spline?

Thanks in advance

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Steering wheel removal

When i changed my steering wheel i purchased a Land rover steering wheel removal tool from ebay for a tenner.

Phil.

leave the nut on there or you will whack your self on the forehead with your wheel.
    literally swimming in it.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Just been trying to remove mine also - doesn't waana budge even with some persuasion !!

Don't really wanna spend another tenner on a wheel remover. Might pop into LandRover to see if they'll do it for me...

FOR SALE = 1988/E 110CSW
    Various Modifications to "The Flying Brick", including a 300tdi conversion & Exmoor seats

Also:
    1. 4 x steel rims (painted white) + tyres
    2. Original 4-spoke steering wheel
    3. Rear Storage Box
    4. Black Steering Guard
    Call for more...

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

I drilled two holes in a piece of steel and with the aid of bolts screwed into the wheel through it and a couple of nuts the wheel slid off suprisingly easy as it wouldn't budge before.
    Moneypit 110 scrapped but still there for spares

200 tdi Ninety coming together slowly with help from friends

2.5 D Ninety general runabout in need of TLC

Consultant
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by landowner View Post
    I drilled two holes in a piece of steel and with the aid of bolts screwed into the wheel through it and a couple of nuts the wheel slid off suprisingly easy as it wouldn't budge before.
    Beat me to it, that's what I do.

For those using persuasion ...

In general you should NEVER EVER do that on the steering column. Never, not once.

ALL car steering columns will have some form of collapsable structure so that when the driver hits it during a big crash, the column can collapse and reduce the severity of the resulting crush injuries. Not sure about the Defender, but on the Disco and Range rover, the mounting brackets between the column and the structure behind the dash incorporate some sliding bits that allow the column to detach from the vehicle structure. The lower column incorporates a sliding section to allow it to shorten.

In some vehicles, there are shearable plugs - hitting the column with a hammer may well damage these and lead to a failure either then, or worse, at some random point in the future.

That's why the manual has an instruction that the wheel should only be removed with a puller. And in any case, as Landowner says, it "just pops off" with a puller.
    You are likely to get away with it on a Land Rover, but then you (or someone following your 'advice') apply the same technique on something else ...
    110 V8 LPG, 90 2.5 Petrol (no longer turbo diseasel )
    See my website for info on LPG conversions

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by SimonHobson View Post
    Beat me to it, that's what I do.

For those using persuasion ...

In general you should NEVER EVER do that on the steering column. Never, not once.

ALL car steering columns will have some form of collapsable structure so that when the driver hits it during a big crash, the column can collapse and reduce the severity of the resulting crush injuries. Not sure about the Defender, but on the Disco and Range rover, the mounting brackets between the column and the structure behind the dash incorporate some sliding bits that allow the column to detach from the vehicle structure. The lower column incorporates a sliding section to allow it to shorten.

In some vehicles, there are shearable plugs - hitting the column with a hammer may well damage these and lead to a failure either then, or worse, at some random point in the future.

That's why the manual has an instruction that the wheel should only be removed with a puller. And in any case, as Landowner says, it "just pops off" with a puller.
    You are likely to get away with it on a Land Rover, but then you (or someone following your 'advice') apply the same technique on something else ...

Fair enough... Will see what I can cobble together...

FOR SALE = 1988/E 110CSW
    Various Modifications to "The Flying Brick", including a 300tdi conversion & Exmoor seats

Also:
    3. Rear Storage Box
    4. Black Steering Guard
    Call for more...

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Mine came off with a rubber mallet (eventually)

Keep at it mate:biggrin:

Ade
    1992 110 DC 2.5 N/A - Yoda
    2000 P38 DSE - Jezabelle
    1972 109 2.25 Petrol - currently unnamed

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

I need to align my steering wheel as well - it's about 100 degrees, very annoying in a mildly OCD kind of way - I lifted my hammer to it and noticed a message printed under the cover - 'Never use a hammer to remove steering wheel'

so if there is anyone near Marden in Kent with one of these pullers, and fancy a visit from a bald bloke with a shiny white 90, PM me

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by exmonkey View Post
    I need to align my steering wheel as well - it's about 100 degrees, very annoying in a mildly OCD kind of way - I lifted my hammer to it and noticed a message printed under the cover - 'Never use a hammer to remove steering wheel'

so if there is anyone near Marden in Kent with one of these pullers, and fancy a visit from a bald bloke with a shiny white 90, PM me

I'll pop over too and maybe 2-4-1 ?! I'm down in Whitstable and wouldn't mind the drive.
    Have found the special removal tool on Ebay for 10. May have a go with the rubber mallet instead though

FOR SALE = 1988/E 110CSW

Also:
    3. Rear Storage Box
    4. Black Steering Guard
    Call for more...

Bournemouth, Bournemouth, United Kingdom, 106076432757037, Bournemouth
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

allredy dun that trick smact me in the fore head whith. had a perfect stering weel imprint you try to explang that one to your unie frends
    My land rovers:
    .1989. land rover 90 county stationwagon was 2.5 terbo naw 200tdi PAWER
    .1957. series one soft top 2 1/4 Petrol

wat size oil pudell do you leve ....where`s the air con opon a window

Mechanic
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by exmonkey View Post
    I need to align my steering wheel as well - it's about 100 degrees, very annoying in a mildly OCD kind of way
    You sure the wheel is out on the column?

Mine is out of horizontal too,

However the indicator canceller thingie should line up with the wheel, if it does now, and you move the wheel, it won't cancel properly.
    Mine cancel when I turn one way, because the canceller passes the switch, but not the other unless I use more than a turn of lock.

The way to fix it is to adjust the length of the drag link between the steering box drop arm and the left hand front wheel. However, I tried to do mine on Sunday, and no force that I could exert would turn the tube, so I have to get the tube off and free up the ends first

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Facade View Post
    However the indicator canceller thingie should line up with the wheel, if it does now, and you move the wheel, it won't cancel properly.
    Mine cancel when I turn one way, because the canceller passes the switch, but not the other unless I use more than a turn of lock.
    I wondered why my indicator only cancels one way!

No - it really is way out of alignment.

Consultant
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Facade View Post
    Beat me to it !

It's common for "don't care, not my motor" types to 'cheat' when setting up steering (especially when it's a car with two track rods off a rack to adjust). Rather than do the job properly, they'll adjust one end and then turn the steering wheel to straight if the customer complains. I've been back in the past and demanded they do the job properly - including resetting the steering wheel so it's straight when the column lock engages.

On a Land Rover, IIRC the cancelling ring is actually keyed to the wheel with a couple of pins, but it may well be possible to assemble it wrong. There are also all those splined joints between the upper column and the box - but I think they are mostly set up so the bolt won't fit with anything but the right alignment.

And then adjust the drag link. If it's not been apart and reassembled with anti-sieze (copper) grease, then it will be rusted solid and need a lot of persuasion and/or heat to free it.
    110 V8 LPG, 90 2.5 Petrol (no longer turbo diseasel )
    See my website for info on LPG conversions

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Removal Tool bought from EBAY for said 10. Will try it out this weekend. If works then available for hire at... 10 per use

Exmonkey - if you wanna pop down to sunny Whitstable, you're welcome to borrow it...

FOR SALE = 1988/E 110CSW

Also:
    3. Rear Storage Box
    4. Black Steering Guard
    Call for more...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information